The team was first organized on 5 December, as Company "C", Class No. TEN, at the Naval Combat Demolition Unit at the Amphibious Training Base, Fort Pierce, Florida. The regular training course was taken lasting nine weeks and was broken down into two weeks of basic demolition work, two weeks of small boat training, two weeks of reconnaissance, one week at the St. Lucie Inlet at Jensen, One channel and reef blasting as well as shore survey and finally two weeks of "standard" and "pay-off' courses requiring application of all previously acquired knowledge. The original Commanding Officer was Lieut. (jg) HORROCKS.

On the sixth of January 1945, Lieut. J.F. CHACE, on Bureau of Naval Personnel Orders took command of the Team, and Lt.(jg) HORROCKS became the Executive Officer. Shortly thereafter, Ens. D.F. JOHNSON was promoted to Executive Officer and Lt.(jg) HORROCKS became a member of the N.C.D.U. Staff. The regular training program ended the first week in February, but the team was enabled to get further training through two special arrangements. First the M.E.I.U. on the base gave instructions and demonstrations in the use of Japanese ordnance including bangalore torpedoes, mines of all types, and military explosives. The second training arrangement was with the Base Ordnance Department which gave instructions and actual firing practice with bazookas, hand grenades, rifle grenades, .45 pistol, .38 revolver, .30 cal carbine, springfield rifle, .45 cal. Thompson sub-machine gun, and the M-3 sub-machine gun. During this time the Team was called upon to carry out harassing operations on beach battalions and small boats both ashore and several miles at sea while the conducted large scale maneuvers at the completion of their own training.

On the fourteenth of February 1945, Captain GULBRANSON, at ATB, Fort Pierce, Fla. officially designated the Team as Underwater Demolition Team No. TWENTY TWO and it thereby became a fully commissioned team. At this time Chief Boatswain John S. SALZER became the Executive Officer and Ensign JOHNSON became the Platoon Leader for the fourth platoon. The Team departed this same day for an embarkation leave that terminated the fourth of March at San Bruno, California.

The Team was transferred to Treasure Island on the eighth of March and on the tenth sailed for Pearl Harbor on the U.S.S. METEOR (C2). The passage two six days and after two days ashore in Honolulu, the Team went to Maui, T.H: on board the LSM 368, arriving the same evening of 18 March 1945, for their advanced training.

The training program at the Naval Combat Demolition Training and Experimental Base lasted nine weeks and included one week of advance training in swimming, and physical conditioning, two weeks of reconnaissance, two weeks of coral blasting, one week of obstacle blasting, two weeks of lava blasting, and one week of marine field training. At the end of the training program five operations of three day duration were held on board five APD's. The ships were the USS CAMBPELL (APD-49), USS BROCK (APD-93), USS SCHMITT (APD-76), USS INGRAM (APD-43), AND USS LEE FOX (APD-45).

Early in April two further changes occurred in the Team. Lt.(jg) L.G. SUHRLAND became the Executive Officer and Chief Boatswain SALZER became Platoon Leader for the second platoon. The Team Commanding Officer received a spot promotion to Lieut.Comdr.


Upon completion of the regular training program, during the second week in June, the team went on the regular standby basis of other teams awaiting orders and devoted one half of its time to standing watches and furnishing working parties and the other half to any special training that could be arranged. The Team Commanding Officer with Lt.(jg) ALBRIGHT and Ensign JOHNSON and twelve picked volunteers spent two weeks in advanced marine combat training in order to have a specially trained group available for any pre-assault work in shore scouting that might be called for. Ensign BRAX took twelve men to Pearl Harbor for a weeks training in fire fighting. Thirty men took the weeks course in maintenance and firing of the .50 cal. Browning machine gun. Lt.(jg) ALBRIGHT went to Pearl Harbor for a weeks review at M.E.I.U. #4 on U.S. and Japanese mines and ordnance. In the middle of June, Mr. SALZER, then a newly appointed Lt.(jg), again became the Team Executive Officer and Lt.(jg) SUHRLAND went to the ComUDTsPhibsPac Staff.

On 5 July, 1945, the Team as a whole took over the training Department Duties at NCDT&EB with Lt.Comdr CHACE serving in the capacity of Training Officer, with the balance of the officers and men filling administrative and instructors positions. This assignment was terminated by the departure of the Team on the twenty first of July on board LST 969, for cold water training at the Amphibious Training Base, Oceanside, California.

Upon landing with its gear at Oceanside on the first of August, the Team was given the Supply job for all Demolition Teams. This assignment involved fitting out for combat operations twenty five teams, each requiring different quantities of items which were to come from all parts of the country. The dropping of the Atomic Bomb and the return of the majority of the teams from leave during the second week in August resulted in the abandonment of the cold water training program and the majority of the teams were loaded and embarked on board APDs by 16 August. Team #22 was on board the U.S.S. WALTER X. YOUNG (APD-131) and with five other teams comprised ComUDRon THREE and sailed the night of the sixteenth with UDRon One for Pearl Harbor.

Upon arrival at Pearl Harbor on the twenty second of August, explosives and ammunition were taken aboard and the next day the squadron sailed for Eniwetok, arriving the thirtieth. Fuel and supplies were loaded and the squadron left the same day for the Tokyo Area. Orders had been received at Eniwetok for the reconnaissance of Sagami Bay beaches and ensuing days at sea were spent in briefing the men and memorizing the available charts and aerial photographs.

Upon arrival in Japanese waters, the ship was ordered to steam directly to Tokyo Bay and the morning of the fourth of September, dropped anchor off Yokosuka Naval Base. All teams then reported to ComUDTFlotilla for orders and learned that the reconnaissance and demolition work on Sagami Beaches had been cancelled twelve hours previously due to the fine condition that the Yokohama docks were found to be in.


On the nineteenth of September, the Team was transferred to Commander Task Force THIRTY TWO and received orders to proceed to Aomori to carry out reconnaissance operations at Aomori.

On the night of 21 September, a message was received from CTF No. 32 ordering the Team to commence its operations upon arrival at Aomori Wan. The first assignment was to locate and buoy four sunken wrecks reported by the Japanese in the outer harbor. This work was to continue until noon, at which time a. reconnaissance of Green Beach was to commence.

At 0800, Lt.(jg) ALBRIGHT left the ship in an LCPR with four swimmers to carry out the first phase of the assignment, and by 1100, had buoyed two wrecks. Both of these ships had parts of their superstructure within a few feet of the surface and were located through the use of the ship's echo ranging sound gear and fathometer. Ens. AYRES with fresh swimmers and a new boat crew located the third wreck using the same methods between 1100 and 1230. The operation was secured at this time and preparations were made for the afternoon reconnaissance. It was reported at this time that the fourth and last wreck had been located by Team #24, who reported that the Japanese had already placed three buoys out to identify it.

At 1500, the entire Team, in four LCPR's, left to reconnoiter Green Beach. The designated beach was from 1500 to 4500 yards east of the Tsutsumi River and the area between the high water mark and the three fathom mark was covered. Each platoon beached in the center of their assigned area and proceeded to work from the beach seaward using flutterboards, string, and individual sounding lines. At 1630, the operation was completed and charts, dispatches and reports were prepared. Lt.Comdr CHACE reported with this material to ComTransDiv 108 and 2000 received orders to conduct a reconnaissance from the beach back to the main road and in addition cover the area from the river east to the beach.

On the morning of 23 September, the Team left the ship at 0800, landed at the small boat basin at center beach and after establishing a communications center and headquarters at the temple in the park at the western end of the beach, proceeded with the survey. This operation was completed by 1130 and after erecting Green Beach markers, the Team returned to the ship to prepare charts and reports. During the afternoon, Lt.Comdr CHACE went ashore with a small party to inspect the beach exits that had been located during the morning and the fourth platoon went in to buoy three sunken fishing boats just off the western end of the beach in eight feet of water.

During the night of 23 September, a strong wind came up and the buoys marking the wrecks tore loose and during the day of the twenty-fourth, the first platoon worked relocating the wrecks and buoying them. One had not been located by evening. The third platoon was sent into the beach to relocate the boundaries of Green Beach in accordance with instructions from ComTransDiv 108. These beach limits changes were the result of the analysis of the reconnaissance information and recommendation by the Team Commanding Officer.

On 25 September, the units of the Eighth Army, comprising of almost five divisions, was scheduled to commence landing at 0900. At 0545 Lt.Comdr. CHACE reported aboard the USS BAYFIELD to Commodore POPHAM with thirty-five charts of the beach and its exits, together with copies of the reconnaissance report. Three LCPRs with Lt.(jg) ALBRIGHT, Ens. JOHNSON, and Ensign DEPPE in charge renewed the search for the unbuoyed wreck. The ship at this time was anchored in her assigned position one mile off the center of Green Beach. A fourth LCPR went into the beach with Ensign ROBERTS in charge to check all previously established markers and buoys and to run the length of the beach in search of any possible obstructions that might live been placed there during the night. Upon his return, Ensign McDONNELL went out at 0630, to clear numerous fish nets that the Japanese had failed to remove and were still blocking the beach. Two of the boats searching for the wreck used a sweep gear rigged between the boats with no results. At 0700, according to previous instructions, Lt.(jg) ALBRIGHT and Ensign JOHNSON reported in their respective boats to the Green Beach sub control craft, the PCS 1452. Lt. Comdr CHACE reported at this time to the PC 1177, the senior control boat for both Red and Green Beaches. At 0830 the single boat searching for the wreck finally located and buoyed it. At 0900, the first waves hit beaches Green One and Two led in by Lt.(jg) ALBRIGHT and Ensign JOHNSON, who continued to guide successive waves for the neat two hours. General MITCHELL, the Commanding General, together with his staff came alongside the senior control ship and Lt. Comdr CHACE went aboard the General's boat to act as pilot into the harbor. The General and his staff landed in the inner harbor at 0930.

By 1130, all personnel of Underwater Demolition Team #22, had returned to the ship and for them the Aomori Operation was completed.

On the evening of 26 September, Lt.Comdr. CHACE, Commanding Officer of Underwater Demolition Team #22, and Lt.Comdr BIDDLE, Commanding Officer of U.S.S. WALTER X. YOUNG (APD-131), went aboard the U.S.S. MOUNT OLYMPUS and received orders to proceed to Niigata to locate a suitable beach for LSM's to beach and to conduct a through reconnaissance of the beach and its exits. Intelligence information showed that a large number of mines had been laid by the Army Air Forces in the Niigata area. Admiral WILKENSON personally discussed the mines and the pending operation. Captain BRAMSON-COOK, the staff Beachmaster, was to go with the ship.

The ship arrived at a predetermined point ten miles off Niigata at 0800, 28 September and were met by an Army Colonel and Captain, part of a four man reconnaissance team that had just arrived in Niigata. They stated that there were no beaches in the vicinity with usable exit and exits and were in turn informed that their suggestion of using the harbor was impractical because of the mine fields. A tentative beach 3000 yards southwest of the Miomote River was selected for a point of landing and the team was given the problem of locating a clear LSM beach with exits as far as the railroad.

The team using for LCPRs left the ship at 0900, four miles from the beach. The boats traveled in column and when the first boat reached the 2 1/2 fathom mark 100 yards from shore, the Team Commanding Officer with Ensign DEPPE and three of his men formed a scouting line and swam ahead of the boats into the beach looking for possible mines. All boats were beached together and gear unloaded. Headquarters was established on the beach and each platoon proceeded to carry out their assignments as follows: the first conducting a hydrographical survey of the of the bottom off the village 300 yards south of headquarters; the second the Executive Officer, Lt.(jg) ALBRIGHT, in charge, proceeded by water to a village 600 yards from the Miomote River opposite the village of Senami; the third taking a series of spot gradient soundings along the beach at 100 yard intervals in front of headquarters; the fourth splitting into two groups, half conducting a survey along the road for three miles inland from the aforementioned village 300 yards south, and the other half setting up beach security and manning radios. The second platoon was met by Captain BRAMSTON-COOK and his party on landing. The Captain had proceeded in the gig up the river to Senami and the preliminary survey in this area indicated that it was an excellent beach for the planned purpose. The second platoon proceeded to conduct a reconnaissance of six hundred yards of beach. The first platoon and headquarters proceeded to this area and set up ranges at the end of the beach and a central beach marker. All other platoons finished their work by this time and were sent back to the ship, while the first completed their work and a verification of the beach exits was made by the Team Commanding Officer.

By 1430, all personnel had returned to the ship, a dispatch had been sent, the preparation of charts and reports for CTF 32 on the return to Tokyo Bay had been started and the Senami Operation was completed.

On the morning of 29 September, the ship went into Hakodate harbor, Hokkaido to pick up Ensign ROBERTS who had flown from Aomori on the twentieth to Otaru, Hokkaido to determine the need for any reconnaissance or demolition. The ship

immediately got underway again for Tokyo Bay and arrived at Yokohama on 1 October 1945.

The Team left Tokyo Bay on the 12th of October for Amphibious Training Base, Coronado, California, via Guam, Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor, T.H.

Upon the Team arrival at Guam, Captain J.G. McCLAUGHRY, USN, Commander,. Underwater Demolition Squadron THREE, officially congratulated the Team on the work they had done in the Senami Operation. This was done while relaying a message of. commendation for the same operation from Captain H.E. BRAMSTON-COOK, USNR, Admiral WILKENSON'S Staff Beachmaster, who accompanied the Team to Senami and later reported the highly successful use of the laid out beach.

(compiled by Robert Allan King for the UDT-SEAL Museum from public records at the Operational Archives of the Naval Historical Center)

TEAM ROSTERS - To protect the integrity of the Teams and the privacy of individual frogmen, Team rosters are not made public. If you or your relative was a member of UDT Team TWENTY-TWO and you would like further information, we suggest you contact the UDT-SEAL Museum.

NSWA home